If you get into a truck accident, you’re going to suffer some pretty serious injuries. It’s important that follow a few basic steps after your crash. If you don’t do this, not only can your injuries get worse, but you could jeopardize your legal claim.
Any experienced truck accident lawyer will tell you the same thing. If you get hit by a tractor trailer, you need to call the police right away. They’ll come and conduct a thorough investigation. You also need to seek medical treatment immediately. You need to make sure you’re okay, and you also need to document your injuries.
The last thing you need to do is contact an experienced truck accident lawyer in North Carolina. If you do all of these things, you’ll give your truck accident lawyer the best opportunity to get you the compensation you deserve.
Make Sure You Call the Police After Your Accident
Very rarely is a truck accident minor. Odds are, you’ll suffer some pretty serious injuries. Your car may be totaled as well. This is why it’s so important that you call the cops after your accident.
The cops will conduct an investigation of the accident scene. They’ll also do the following:
- Prepare a police report based on their investigation
- Get statements from both drivers
- Interview any eye witnesses
- Check to see if either driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Get license and insurance information from all drivers involved in the crash
If the truck driver asks you to not call the cops, there must be a good reason. There are lots of possible reasons why they don’t want the cops to come to the scene. Some of these may be:
- They may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- They may not have a valid CDL
- Lack of insurance insurance
- They may have violated the federal truck driver regulations
- The other driver could be in the commission of a crime
- They may be driving a stolen truck
This is why you need the police to come to the scene. Plus, your North Carolina truck accident lawyer is going to need their police report to prove your case.
Seek Medical Treatment Immediately
Truck accident in North Carolina tend to cause some pretty serious injuries. This is because of the sheer size of the truck. Your passenger vehicle doesn’t stand a chance against a tractor trailer.
It’s really important that you make sure you’re okay. This means you need to go to the hospital. The doctors there will do the necessary tests to make sure you’re okay. And, if you do have serious injuries, they can treat you right there.
Your truck accident attorney will have to prove you were injured in order to get you compensation. The best way for them to do this is to submit your medical records as evidence. Medical documentation from the hospital immediately after your truck accident is the best way to do this.
Call an Experienced North Carolina Truck Accident Lawyer
Once you make sure you’re okay, you need to contact an experienced truck accident lawyer. They understand that there are multiple people you need to pursue for your injuries. This includes the following parties:
- Truck driver
- Company the driver works for
- Mechanic who serviced the trucks
- Company the truck driver is delivering goods to
Your lawyer may have to file claims against multiple insurance companies. They may also need to name some or all of the above defendants in a lawsuit.
If necessary, your lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf. This lawsuit will demand that you receive damages for your injuries, including:
- Medical bills – You’re entitled to be compensated for any out-of-pocket medical expenses. The defendant will also have to reimburse any third-party providers who covered your medical care.
- Lost Wages – If you missed a lot of time from work, you’re entitled to be paid for lost wages. This includes any future lost wages. If you can’t do the same type of work as a result of your truck accident, the defendants will be held accountable.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover any repairs or the replacement value.
- Pain and Suffering –You have the right to be compensated for physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
Call a truck accident lawyer at Harman Law today and schedule your free initial consultation. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.