If you get into a tractor-trailer accident, you’re going to suffer some pretty serious injuries. You’ll be in the hospital for days or even weeks. You’ll miss a lot of time from work. If the truck driver was responsible for the accident, you’re going to need to contact an experienced truck accident attorney in North Carolina.
In regular car accidents, you file your claim against the driver’s insurance company and hope they pay your claim. If your claim is denied, your personal injury lawyer can appeal your claim or file suit.
In truck accidents, there’s usually more than one party responsible for your injuries. You’ll have to file a claim against multiple people. This can be very difficult. It also makes your case very complicated. You want an experienced attorney handling this claim. You don’t want to try to do it yourself.
When it comes to getting compensation for your truck accident, you should call and speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer in North Carolina.
How Can an Attorney Help After a Truck Accident?
The first thing you’ll do after a truck accident is filed your insurance claims. You’ll need to file a claim against the driver’s insurance. This policy is probably maintained by the trucking company.
If you’re lucky, your claim will be approved and you’ll have payment in a week or two. However, there’s no guarantee that your claim will be approved. Your claim could be denied for a number of reasons, including:
- The policy wasn’t valid
- The policy lapsed for non-payment
- The driver wasn’t listed on the policy
- They believe you were at fault
- They don’t think your injuries were legitimate
- You have a history of filing accident claims
Your truck accident lawyer can help file your appeal. They’ll reach out to the insurance adjuster and find out what the real reason is for the denial. They’ll also try to negotiate a settlement of your claim.
It’s not that you can’t do this yourself. However, the insurance adjuster isn’t going to take you seriously. They may take forever to return your calls. They may also try to offer you a low-ball settlement.
If an insurance company does offer you a settlement and asks you to sign a release, call a lawyer right away. You should never sign this type of agreement without having an experienced truck lawyer review it.
You Need to Make Sure You Name All Possible Defendants in Your Initial Claim
When you’re hit by a commercial vehicle, you need to make sure you pursue more than just the driver. You need to file a claim against everyone who may be partially responsible for your injuries. These parties include:
- The truck driver
- The company they work for
- Also, the company whose product they were transporting
- The company who serviced the truck
Who you name in your suit really depends on what caused the accident. Your truck accident lawyer in North Carolina has handled many cases like this. They know how to determine who may be responsible.
Once your lawyer determines who to name in your suit, they’ll have to decide what kinds of damages to demand. Your lawyer will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
Some of the damages they may demand include:
- Reimbursement of medical bills: You’re entitled to be compensated for both past and future medical expenses. If your doctor believes you’re going to need future medical care, you can demand that the defendant reimburse you for this.
- Lost wages: If you’re in a trucking accident, your injuries will be serious. This means you’ll spend some time in the hospital. You’ll also be out of work for a while. The defendant needs to be held accountable for this.
- Permanent injury: If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you can file for disability. You’ll be entitled to the difference between disability and what you would’ve earned working full-time.
- Pain and suffering: You may be entitled to damages for physical and mental anguish. This is known as pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium: If you lose your spouse, you may be entitled to these types of damages.
Your lawyer has the experience to know how to prove these damages. They’ll present evidence to show that the truck driver was liable for your injuries.
Call and Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation with an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or your loved one have been injured in a truck accident, you should call a North Carolina truck accident lawyer. You can sit down and discuss your case. Once your lawyer reviews your case, they can let you know what it may be worth.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.