Car accidents can happen to anyone. We see them on our way to work or school all the time. We look at the people on the side of the road and say a little prayer for them. Also, we thank our lucky stars that the accident didn’t happen to us. Negligence is one of the most common Causes of Car Accidents. This just means that someone made a mistake. That is, after all, why we call them accidents. If your Hickory car accident lawyer can prove the other driver was negligent, they should be able to get you compensation for your injuries.
Unfortunately, at some point in our lives, most of us will get into a car wreck. When this happens, it’s important that we reach out to a car accident lawyer in North Carolina. They know exactly what to do after an accident. They also know what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.
How Does Your North Carolina Car Accident Lawyer Prove Negligence?
In order to collect damages, you’ll have to prove negligence on the part of the defendant. In order to do this, your lawyer will have to demonstrate the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This isn’t difficult. All drivers are required to obey the traffic laws. They’re also required to look out for other people on the road.
- They breached this duty – This is the hardest part of your case to prove. Your attorney will have to show that the other driver did something out of the ordinary. This could include anything from drinking and driving to speeding.
- You were injured – This is why it’s so important that you go to the hospital after your crash. Whether you think your injuries are minor or not, you need to get checked out. Your lawyer will need to submit your medical records to prove you were injured.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach – This can be difficult to prove if you wait too long to go to the hospital. If this is the case, the defendant’s lawyer will argue that something other than the crash caused your injuries.
If you can prove these four things, you should have a good shot at recovering for your injuries.
What are Some of Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
It would be easy to say that most accidents are caused by carelessness. However, there are certain things that are more likely to cause a car accident. Some of these are:
- Speeding – Every road and highway has a posted speed limit. All drivers are required to drive at or below this limit. If a driver is speeding at the time of the crash, they should be held liable. The problem is, it’s hard to prove how fast they were going at the time of the crash. Your lawyer may need to hire accident recreation specialists to determine how fast the cars were traveling at the time of impact.
- Distracted driving – The most common distraction is a cell phone. When people text and drive, it’s like driving blind. Imagine driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed. That’s what happens when people drive while distracted.
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs – Nobody should drink and drive. If someone is convicted of DUI, it’s per se evidence that they were of fault.
- Mechanical failure – If a car’s brakes aren’t working, it can certainly cause a car accident. Your lawyer may be able to prove mechanical failure. If this is the case, you should be able to recover for your injuries.
If your North Carolina car wreck was caused by any of these things, you need to call an experienced car accident lawyer in Hickory. They can review your case and determine the cause. If the other driver was responsible, they’ll file a claim against their insurance.
If, for some reason, the insurance company refuses to pay your claim, your Hickory car accident lawyer will have no choice but to file a lawsuit against the driver.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Hickory, North Carolina
If you’ve been injured in any sort of car accident, you need to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Hickory, North Carolina. They’ll review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call and schedule your initial consultation with Harman Law today. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until your case settles.