If you get into any sort of auto accident, there are certain steps you need to take. This is first and foremost to protect yourself. It’s also to protect your legal claim, should you need to file one. Your auto accident attorney in North Carolina is depending that you handle these things right.
The most important thing following any car crash is that you’re okay. Without your health, nothing else really matters. You also want to take the necessary steps to preserve your legal claim. This means you have to do the following three (3) things:
- Call the police
- Seek immediate medical treatment
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in North Carolina
If you do all of these things, you’ll give your accident lawyer the best chance of getting you compensation for your injuries.
You Have to Call the Police After Your Accident
No matter how minor your crash may be, you need to call the police. The other driver may try to convince you to not call the cops. They may even offer to pay for your repairs if you agree to not call them. Don’t do this.
There’s never a good reason to not call 911 after your car accident. It’s important that the cops come to the scene and conduct a thorough investigation. They’ll do several things once there, including:
- Prepare a police report based on their investigation
- They’ll get statements from both drivers
- They’ll interview any eye witnesses
- They’ll check to see if either driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The officer will get license and insurance information from all drivers involved in the crash
If the other driver asks you to not call the cops, there’s a good reason. There are lots of possible reasons why they don’t want the cops to come to the scene. Some of these may be:
- They may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- They may not have a valid driver’s license
- They may not have insurance
- There could be warrants out on the other driver
- The other driver could be in the commission of a crime
- They may be driving a stolen car
This is why you need the police to come to the scene. In addition, your North Carolina car accident lawyer is going to need their police report to prove your case.
You Need to Go to the Hospital
You have to seek medical treatment immediately after your car accident. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s a good idea to get checked out.
First, you need to make sure you’re okay. You could have internal injuries or a traumatic brain injury. You’d have no idea. Some injuries don’t show up right away. The doctors at the hospital will do the tests necessary to determine if you’re hurt.
The other reason is that your lawyer will need proof of your injuries. If you don’t go to the hospital, the defendant can claim that you weren’t hurt at all. They can also claim that something other than the crash caused your injuries.
Your attorney is going to need your medical records to prove your injuries. Medical documentation from the hospital immediately after your car accident is the best way to do this.
Call and Speak with an Experienced North Carolina Car Accident Lawyer
Once you’ve sorted out your medical issues, you need to call and speak with an experienced car accident lawyer. You need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Let a skilled lawyer take care of the legal side of things.
Your lawyer can communicate with the insurance companies on your behalf. They’ll help get your claim filed. They’ll also deal with any issues should your claim be denied.
If necessary, your lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf. This lawsuit will demand that you receive damages for your injuries, including:
- Medical bills – You’re entitled to be compensated for any out-of-pocket medical expenses. The defendant will also have to reimburse any third-party providers who covered your medical care.
- Lost Wages – If you missed a lot of time from work, you’re entitled to be paid for lost wages. This includes any future lost wages. If you can’t do the same type of work as a result of the DUI accident, the defendant will be held accountable.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover any repairs or the replacement value.
- Pain and Suffering –You have the right to be compensated for physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
Call a car accident lawyer today and schedule your free initial consultation. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.